Saturday 15 September 2012

John Byrne's Man of Steel


This must be the first DC comic I ever bought. John Byrne had become one of my favourite creators so when he left the FF and Marvel so do this Superman revamp in 1986 I decided to bite the bullet and give DC a try.



I'm pleased I did. I loved this mini-series and continued buying DC comics for years afterwards. This was a golden time for DC with their various re-launches. Miller on Batman, Perez on Wonder Woman, Giffen + DeMattis on Justice League. I would have missed out on all these as they were being published if I hadn't followed JB.

Plus as a result I discovered Moore on Swamp Thing and then the Vertigo books. And subsequently other independents as Comico or Cerebus. So this was an important series for me.


I've re-read all 6 issues of the mini as they are featuring the comics on Bronze Age Babies at the moment. So now I can comment with the stories fresh in my mind.

Issue 4 (cover above) I think was the best overall.

NEXT: X-Men Masterworks by Roy Thomas and Neil Adams.

No comments: