Saturday 9 June 2012

Prometheus - Pretty but disappointing


I saw this film last week and I'm still disappointed by it.

The plot holes and motives really distracted from what was a great film to look at.

I can live with the sketchy "man wants to meet his maker" premise. I don't like it but it's there and is a reason for the whole expedition so lets move on. But there's quite a list of what I didn't like.

1. I didn't like the fact that it's set less than 100 years in to the future. Way too soon. I don't know if Alien or Aliens actually state a year but I always assummed that they were set 200+ years in to the future.

2. Was that Engineer in the opening sequence on Earth or the planet Prometheus visits? I would have liked to know.

3. How on earth did the Biologist and Geologist get lost on the way back to the ship and end up getting stuck overnight? The Geologist had control of the mapping drones for goodness sake. Surely he had a map? Yet the others managed to make it back to the ship in 15 mins to avoid the storm.

4. What were the Engineers running from in those old video sequences? Was some of their bio weapon that had escaped from those containers - the centipede type creatures?

5. What was David's plan? Was it part of Leland's plan to bring something back or did he "hate" humans? Leland seemed to want to meet his maker and find a way to live longer. Taking an Alien virus back to Earth didn't fit. And I didn't like the way it affected Shaws partner but made her "pregnant". Character motivations and decisions seemed flawed and illogical.

6. BUT WORST OF ALL. I thought that the film had been inspired by the space jockey which was only glimpsed in Alien. However, the surviving space jockey...sorry Engineer actually died on the Prometheus life pod, not sitting in at his gun turret! WTF? So what happened there?



So...was the ship that crashed in Prometheus the one that Ripley and crew discovered in Alien? I am sure you meant to think it was...

You should come out of a film having enjoyed the story and spectacle. Not pick holes in a swiss cheese plot.

Since this rant I've found this site which tries to explain it all. They say it's a different planet...but how do we know???

 

No comments: